Some of the more mainstream communities have membership approval, which will certainly limit the range of answers I'm likely to get. I also was unable to find much in the way of communities catering to indigenous spiritual practices, which will also limit the range of answers significantly.
What I'll do with the results depends upon how much response this gets. It can easily get difficult to read each response, as I'm posting in several communities with a lot of members. Hopefully, I'll be able to compile a list of responses that approximates the common answers I receive, as well as the ones that particularly stand out. I may also cite responses in an essay on the subject.
Feel free to respond anonymously. Anywhere I repost or republish responses, quotations will remain anonymous unless you specifically ask to be named (and even then, I may choose to keep everything anonymous).
If this is inappropriate for your community, and maintainers would like me to remove this post, please be so kind as to email me at gnosis AT gmail DOT com with your reasons.
All of that said, here are the questions. Responses can be as long or as short as you wish.
1. How do you define "religion"?
2. How do you define "spirituality"?
3. If you adhere to a faith or religious/spiritual doctrine, does it require belief in the "supernatural"? If so, how do you define "supernatural"?
4. If you adhere to a faith or religious/spiritual doctrine, do you believe its founding or supporting texts (such as the Bible, Quran, and so on) are literal truth?
5. If you adhere to a faith or religious/spiritual doctrine, do you practice in a place of worship, or follow a guide/teacher/leader of some sort?
6. What role should religion or spirituality have in social/political decision-making, and why?
Thank you all in advance!
Posted to: buddhists, celticpagans, christianleft, freetobelieve, interfaith, interspiritual, islamicfeminist, jewcrew, ljbahai, om_bodhi, quakers, radicals, religion, religiousdebate, sanatana_dharma, secularspirit, shintoism, sociologists, sunsmoonsstars, theism, theravadins, chalice_circle, wiccan